Spicy garlic roasted asparagus and broccolini, pickled radishes, sesame wilted kale, savory rhubarb poached in star anise and lime zest, shaved cucumber, sliced chioggia beets, shredded cabbage, sesame seeds, and fresh basil. All of these flavors compliment one another amazingly well, and together they make a beautiful and healthy salad with a perfect mixture of raw and roasted vegetables; all tossed together in a pomegranate ponzu sauce that is the perfect amalgam of sweet and umami flavors.
- 4 tbsp ponzu
- 2 tbsp pomegranate paste (can be found on Amazon or in middle eastern markets)
- 1/4 tsp toasted sesame oil
- juice of 1/2 a lime
- 1 bunch of thin asparagus
- 1 bunch broccolini
- 3 garlic cloves (minced)
- grapeseed oil for drizzling (or another high heat oil
- thai chili flakes (can sub with regular red pepper flakes or omit entirely)
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp pepper
Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Toss vegetables in garlic, chili flakes, oil, salt and pepper. Roast for about 15 minutes.
- 1 cup water
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 2 star anise pods
- 1/4 tsp lime zest
- 1 large stalk of rhubarb (or 2 smaller stalks)
Bring water, sugar, sea salt, anise pods, and lime zest to a boil. Chop your rhubarb into thin slices (or however you’d like), and add to water once boiling. Let poach for around 3 minutes or less. The rhubarb cooks extremely quickly, check to see if it is slightly soft to the touch (using a utensil, of course) and remove to cool. You want the rhubarb to be soft but not mushy.
- 1 bunch of lacinato kale, chopped
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- a few pickled vegetables of your choice
- shaved cucumber
- shaved beets
- shredded purple cabbage
- pomegranate seeds
- fresh basil
- sugar snap peas
Combine the roasted vegetables, the poached rhubarb, and the rest of the salad ingredients and toss with the ponzu pomegranate sauce.