Give me a citrusy loaf/pound cake situation and I am the happiest gal ever. This is absolutely my dessert (or breakfast!) of choice. I have always adored lemon poppyseed everything and I wanted to try it with the addition of my beloved orange.
This Orange Poppyseed Loaf is gluten free, vegan, and refined sugar free. Feel free to enjoy it as is, or top it with the tart pink ‘cream cheese’ frosting. You could also use this recipe to make muffins/donuts, but you’d have to keep on eye on them as the bake time will be different (should be around 20 minutes vs. 45)
FOR THE LOAF:
2 cups oat flour
1 cup almond flour
2 tablespoons poppy seeds
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon ground turmeric (optional, for color)
1/2 cup fresh orange juice (about 3 oranges)
1/2 cup dairy free milk
1/4 cup melted coconut oil
zest of 2 oranges (2 tablespoons)
zest of 2 lemons (2 teaspoons)
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/4 cup coconut sugar (or date sugar / brown sugar)
1/4 cup maple syrup (or other liquid sweetener)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Mix together the dry ingredients until fully incorporated, then do the same with the wet ingredients. Add the wet to the dry and mix together until a smooth batter forms.
3. Pour the batter into a parchment lined loaf pan (I used an 8 x 4) and bake for 45-50 minutes. Mine took closer to 50, but check with a knife or toothpick at 45 minutes, if it comes out clean, the loaf is ready.
4. Let cool fully, then add frosting and chopped pistachios, or enjoy it by itself! Store in the refrigerator in an airtight container.
FOR THE FROSTING:
1 large Hannah or Japanese sweet potato (white flesh) (about 2 cups worth diced)
1/3 cup maple syrup (you can add up to 1/2 cup if you like it sweeter)
6 tablespoons melted coconut butter or oil
Juice of 2 lemons (about 4 tablespoons)
2 tablespoons water (as needed to blend)
Zest of 1 lemon (about 1 teaspoon)
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
1/8 teaspoon sea salt
1-2 teaspoons beet juice or beet crystals for pink color (optional)
1. Peel the sweet potato and cut it into chunks. Steam the sweet potato until it is fork tender, then set aside to cool.
2. To a high speed blender or food processor, add the steamed sweet potato along with the rest of the ingredients and blend or process until it is super whipped and creamy. Feel free to taste and adjust at this point and add more lemon juice for tartness, or maple syrup for sweetness.
3. Store in a jar in the fridge until ready to use.
One Reply to “Orange Poppyseed Loaf”
This color is GORGEOUS and I can’t wait to try this recipe! Buying coconut sugar and beet crystals on amazon now 😂