- 2-4 whole chicken legs w/ skin on (or other chicken pieces of your choosing)
- 1 tsp ground saffron (dissolved in 2 tbsp hot water)
- 2 tbsp oil (grapeseed, avocado, or olive)
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp black pepper
- juice of 1 lemon
- 2 blood oranges (juice of 1 for marinade // 1 halved for roasting)
- 1 tsp blood orange zest
- 1 bulb of garlic
- 1 cup of chopped sweet potato (optional)
- 2 shallots (halved)
- 1 lemon, thinly sliced
Marinate the chicken in 2 tbsp oil, salt, pepper, saffron (mix 1 tsp ground saffron and 2 tbsp hot water and let sit for about 5 minutes), lemon juice, blood orange juice and zest and let it marinate for 6 hours to overnight.
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Place chicken in a cast iron pan by itself and place in the oven to brown for about 15 minutes. Next, remove the chicken from the oven and add the two halves of a garlic bulb, shallots, potatoes, blood orange halves, and sliced lemons. Return the pan to the oven and let everything roast for about 40 minutes.
Serve with Life-altering beet hummus and Grain-Free za’atar flatbreads and enjoy!