I’m all about a beverage.
You can typically find me with 2 or 3 beverages surrounding me at my desk. I’ve finally gotten into the habit of drinking lots of water everyday, but it’s always been a struggle for me. I’m just one of those people that wants a little more pizazz in a drink. I’ve started mixing up lots of different iced tea and lemonade combinations and I love how versatile they can be.
This tart pink beverage gets its hue from beet powder. Feel free to use a teaspoon of beet juice, or leave it out entirely for a hue-less lemonade.
- I usually make it spicy by adding some cayenne pepper, but feel free to leave this out if heat isn’t your thing.
- If I’m drinking this in the evening, sometimes I’ll add in some magnesium powder or ashwaganda to make it a relaxing tonic.
- Sometimes I’ll add a splash of apple cider vinegar in the morning to help with pH balance.
- I’ll often add in a teaspoon of rosewater- the flavor goes so well with lemonade.
- I’ve been using stevia for drinks like this- so that they don’t raise my blood sugar levels, especially when I’m drinking it first thing in the morning or before bed. I’ve always hated stevia and haven’t been able to palate it, but I find that something about the tartness of lemon balance the aftertaste stevia usually has and I enjoy it. I like the brand ‘sweet leaf’, it seems to have the best reviews overall so I gave it a try and I’m a fan. If you don’t like stevia, you can use honey or maple syrup.
R E C I P E:
Makes about 1 liter
- 4 cups filtered water
- Juice of 2 lemons (about 1/3 cup)
- 2 droppers of stevia (or to taste, start with less and add more as needed)
- 1/4 teaspoon beet crystals (I use ‘Flora’ brand)
- 1 teaspoon rosewater (optional)
- cayenne pepper, to taste
Add all ingredients to your high speed blender and blend on high for about 10 seconds. Taste and adjust as needed. I like to store it in the fridge in a large jar and then pour over ice when I’m ready to drink it.